Construction Services Department
Chris Thompson, Director
Administration Division Personnel
Emily Hardee, Permit Services Supervisor & Floodplain Coordinator
Heidi Soos, Commercial Plans Expeditor
Laura Thomas, Residential Plans Expeditor
Colleen Hajnal, Plans Expeditor
Amy Carter, Permit Technician
Jacky Hogan, Permit Technician
Teresa Cannon, Property Maintenance Clerk
Inspection Division Personnel
Patrick Ryan, Plans Examiner
Greg Bagley, Building Inspector
Lynn Evans, Building Inspector
Jodi Greenwood, Building Inspector
Paul Cadieux, Building Inspector
Chris Owens, Building Inspector
Jody Lewis, Property Maintenance Inspector
Jamie Hucks, Property Maintenance Inspector
The Construction Services Department serves the city in many capacities, including building permits, property maintenance enforcement, plan review, construction inspections, trade permits and overall development requirements. The department works closely with the Planning & Zoning Department to facilitate the public's building, zoning and permit needs for positive growth and development of Myrtle Beach. For more information about the zoning code, visit the Planning & Zoning Department webpage.
The department's experienced staff are available to help with various topics and functions, including...
- Building Inspections
- Building Permits
- Construction Plan Review
- Floodplain Information
- Floodplain Plan Review
- Property Maintenance Code Enforcement
- Master Trade Cards
- Permit Instruction Process
- Property Maintenance Hearing Board
- Trade Permits (Electrical, Plumbing, Gas & Mechanical)
APPLICATIONS, DOCUMENTS & FORMS
All Construction Services & Building Department applications, documents and forms are available in the Documents Center.
Paperwork Submissions... Submit all electrical, plumbing, gas and mechanical trade permits and trade card applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, fax files to 843-918-1158.
Large Files... Commercial plans are usually too large in size for the city’s email server. Instead, email a cloud server link or dropbox link to email@example.com. New construction plans or plan revisions can also be dropped off to the vestibule in a marked container if unable to send files digitally, although this method is not preferred.
Inspections... The department is performing building inspections on all permitted projects. To schedule an inspection, call 843-918-1111. (To schedule a morning inspection, call by 4:00 p.m. on the day prior to the day requested. For an afternoon inspection, call by 9:00 a.m. the morning of the day requested.)
Effective January 1, 2020, the city is currently following:
- 2018 International Residential Code (with modifications)
- 2018 International Building Code (with modifications)
- 2018 International Existing Building Code
- 2018 International Fire Code (with modifications)
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (with modifications)
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code (with modifications)
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2017 International Code Council (ICC) American National Standard Institute (ANSI) A1117.1
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
COMMUNITY APPEARANCE BOARD
The Community Appearance Board reviews signs, commercial buildings and oceanfront residential construction plans. All forms are available in the Documents Center in the "Community Appearance Board" Folder. To see a list of board members, visit the Boards, Commissions & Committees webpage.
NEW CONSTRUCTION & ALTERATIONS (COMMERCIAL & RESIDENTIAL PROJECTS)
For commercial alterations, residential new construction or exterior alterations, please use the applicable procedures and forms available in the Documents Center in the "Permits" Folder.