Planning & Zoning Department
Kenneth May, Director and Zoning Administrator, 843-918-1167
- Kelly Mezzapelle, Senior Planner, 843-918-1073 – Bicycle & Pedestrian Committee, Comprehensive Plan and Planning Applications/Services
- Eileen Flynn, City Planner, 843-918-1063 – Planning Commission and Planning Applications/Services
- Tammy Kinsley, City Planner, 843-918-1059 – Beach Management Plan
- Lauren Hunt, Planning Technician, 843-918-1075 – Addressing and Street Names
- Charles Rowe, Chief Code Enforcement Officer, 843-918-1179 – Code Compliance and Zoning Code
- Josh Whitney, Arborist and Code Enforcement Officer, 843-918-1173 – Code Compliance, Landscaping and Tree Protection
- Matthew Brooks, Code Enforcement Officer, 843-918-1166 – Code Compliance and Sign Regulations
- Ron Gary, Code Enforcement Officer, 843-918-1198 – Code Compliance and Abandoned Vehicles
- Chris Ballatore, Code Enforcement Officer, 843-918-1182 – Boulevard and Downtown Code Compliance
- Manny Armijo Hernandez, Code Enforcement Officer, 843-918-1181 – Boulevard and Downtown Code Compliance
The Planning & Zoning Department formulates plans, policies, programs and ordinances that provide guidance for the physical, social and economic growth and development for Myrtle Beach. The department works closely with the Construction Services Department and enforces city laws pertaining to zoning, signs, tree protection, lighting, fencing, encroachments, overall development requirements.
To report a service request, see the Customer Request Center webpage. Experienced planners and zoning code officers are available to help with various topics and functions, including...
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee
- Board of Zoning Appeals
- Business Continuity Planning
- Coastal Development Management
- Climate Adaptation Planning
- Community Appearance Board
- Community Resilience Planning
- Cultural Arts Advisory Committee
- Dimensional Requirements for Development
- Disaster Preparedness Planning
- Floodplain Management
- Landscaping and Tree Protection
- Planned Unit Development (PUD)
- Planning Commission
- Recovery Planning
- Rezoning Requests
- Sign Regulations
- Street Names and Addressing
- Subdivision of Land
- Tourism Committee
- Zoning Code
- Zoning Districts
APPLICATIONS, DOCUMENTS & FORMS
All Planning & Zoning Department applications, documents and forms are available in the Documents Center.
Effective January 1, 2020, the city is currently following:
- 2018 International Residential Code (with modifications)
- 2018 International Building Code (with modifications)
- 2018 International Existing Building Code
- 2018 International Fire Code (with modifications)
- 2018 International Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (with modifications)
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2017 National Electrical Code (with modifications)
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2018 International Code Council (ICC) American National Standard Institute (ANSI) A1117.1
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
CODE OF ORDINANCES, APPENDIX A - ZONING CODE (PDF)
- City of Myrtle Beach Zoning Code (Updated February 23, 2021)
- GIS Zoning & Address Map (LINK)
- Zoning & City Limits Map (Updated March 19, 2021)
ANNEXATION & CITY LIMITS MAP
An annexation guide is available for nearby property owners who wish to consider bringing their land into the city limits. It explains the methods and benefits of annexation and provides additional contact information. All related applications, documents and forms are available in the Documents Center in the "Annexation" Folder.
Click here to view the current Zoning and City Limits Map.
BICYCLE & PEDESTRIAN COMMITTEE
The city's Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee works to solve issues and enhance the bicycle and pedestrian experience within Myrtle Beach. The group also creates and provides educational materials as well as leadership to preserve public safety. To learn more and see a map of trails, visit the Bicycle Map & Routes webpage. To see a list of board members, visit the Boards, Commissions & Committees webpage. To download the Bicycle Safety Poster and Brochures, or to view the city's Bicycle Facilities Map, visit the Bicycle Map & Brochures webpage.
BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS
The city's Board of Zoning Appeals hears appeals from zoning decisions and considers requests for variances from zoning regulations. All related applications, documents and forms are available in the Documents Center in the "Zoning and Board of Zoning Appeals" folder. Please be sure to read the application instructions. For more information, call 843-918-1167. To see a list of board members, visit the Boards, Commissions & Committees webpage.
COMMUNITY APPEARANCE BOARD
The Community Appearance Board reviews signs, commercial buildings and oceanfront residential construction plans. All related applications, documents and forms are available in the Documents Center in the "Community Appearance Board" Folder. To see a list of board members, visit the Boards, Commissions & Committees webpage.
The Planning Commission serves Myrtle Beach City Council as an advisory board to planning and growth of the City of Myrtle Beach. To see a list of board members, visit the Boards, Commissions & Committees webpage.
TREE PROTECTION ORDINANCE
Tree-cutting permits, information and forms are available in the Documents Center in the "Tree Protection" Folder. For more information regarding trees and landscaping, call 843-918-1173.