Boards, Commissions & Committees
To view the 2020 schedule of board, commission and committee meetings, click here.
Would you like to serve on a volunteer board, commission or committee for the City of Myrtle Beach? To be considered for one of these volunteer positions, submit a letter of interest and a brief biography or résumé to the City Clerk, P.O. Box 2468, Myrtle Beach, SC 29578. Or, send an email to email@example.com. If you'd like to deliver it in-person, bring all materials to City Hall, 937 Broadway Street, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577.
The following boards, commissions and committees have vacancies...
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee (2 seats)
- Chapin Memorial Library Advisory Board (1 seat)
- Community Appearance Board (1 seat)
- Employee Recognition Committee (1 seat)
- Standard Code Board of Adjustments and Appeals (5 seats)
- Technology Advisory Group (3 seats)
ACCOMMODATIONS TAX ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Accommodations Tax Advisory Board makes recommendations to City Council for distribution of Accommodations Tax funds for tourism-related activities and services.
- Mary Frances Tall (term expires 02-22-23)
- Joseph Washington (term expires 02-22-23)
- Mary B. Henry (term expires 02-22-21)
- Thomas Moore (term expires 02-22-21)
- Betty Mills (term expires 02-22-22)
- Jamie Broadhurst (term expires 02-22-22)
- Jeffrey Urso (term expires 02-22-22)
BEACH ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Beach Advisory Committee advises City Council on matters related to the beach itself, including safety franchises, beach erosion and beach activities.
- Tony Brumfield (term expires 02-22-23)
- Erik Powalie (term expires 02-22-23)
- Gordon Hirsch (term expires 10-10-21)
- Pete Pearce (term expires 02-22-22)
- P. G. Winstead (term expires 02-22-21)
- Mark Donevant (term expires 02-22-22)
- Steve C. Taylor (term expires 10-10-21)
BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN COMMITTEE
The Bicycle & Pedestrian Committee reviews and makes recommendations for improving bicycle and pedestrian safety and for supporting bicycle and pedestrian-related events and/or issues.
- Pamela Stone (term expires 08-26-20)
- Tom Russo (term expires 08-26-20)
- Anna-Gray Pruett (term expires 04-24-21)
- Tim Rollings (term expires 04-24-21)
- Michael Snow (term expires 08-26-21)
- Fleet Odom (term expires 08-26-21)
- Heather Fletcher (term expires 01-23-21)
- Stacy Kay Vaughn (term expires 08-09-22)
- Becky Billingsley (term expires 08-26-21)
BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS
The Board of Zoning Appeals is a quasi-judicial body that reviews and decides appeals of administrative decisions, requests for zoning variances and requests for special exceptions. Appeals of the board’s decisions go to Horry County Circuit Court.
- Julie Booth (term expires 02-22-2023)
- Rock Smith (term expires 02-22-2023)
- William Dickson (term expires 02-22-23)
- Allen R. Lee (term expires 02-22-21)
- Edgar Wilson (term expires 02-22-21)
- James Cameron (term expires 02-22-21)
- Julian DuRant (term expires 02-22-22)
- Michael J. Schwartz (term expires 02-22-22)
- Robert Shelley (term expires 02-22-22)
The Cemetery Committee advises the City Manager on any issues relating to Ocean Woods Cemetery. The cemetery covers 20 acres and has some 6,000 graves, the oldest dating to 1879.
- Ruth Gore (term expires 02-22-20)
- Charles Fullwood (term expires 02-22-20)
- Steve McMillan (term expires 02-22-19)
- Mamie Leach (term expires 02-22-21)
- William "Mack" Hutson (term expires 02-22-19)
CHAPIN MEMORIAL LIBRARY BOARD
The Library Advisory Board advises the staff and City Council about library-related issues. Chapin Memorial Library is the only city-owned library in South Carolina.
- Jennifer Fickenworth (term expires 03-23-23)
- Dr. Subhash Saxena (term expires 03-23-23)
- Susan Hudgins (term expires 02-14-23)
- John Hobson (term expires 01-08-22)
- Jill Griffith (term expires 09-12-20)
- Dana Patrick Painter (term expires 08-23-22)
- Alicia Thompspon (term expires 02-28-22)
- Richard Patelunas (term expires 03-23-21)
- Samuel Bookhart (term expires 02-14-23)
The ad hoc board works to establish operations for Charlie's Place, a city-owned and operated facility. This committee’s objective is to create policies and procedures for Charlie’s Place and Incubator Spaces for Council’s consideration.
CITY COUNCIL (For more information and biographies, see our Mayor & City Council webpage.)
City Council is comprised of six elected council members and one mayor; elections are non-partisan and at-large, with members serving four-year terms.
- Brenda Bethune, Mayor
- Michael Chestnut
- Jackie Hatley, Mayor Pro Tem
- John Krajc
- Mike Lowder
- Dr. Philip Render
- Gregg Smith
Monthly City Council Workshop
Special City Council Workshop
Special City Council Meeting
CITY MANAGER'S SAFETY ADVISORY BOARD (Staff Committee)
This staff committee meets regularly to coordinate and review safety protocols and training curricula for city personnel and departments.COMMUNITY APPEARANCE BOARD STAFF PLAN REVIEW (Staff Committee)
This staff committee meets regularly ahead of Community Appearance Board meetings to prepare.
The Community Appearance Board is the state-authorized board of architectural review. The CAB reviews all plans, drawings, sketches and other documentation affecting new commercial and multifamily buildings, any oceanfront single family homes, the erection or construction of signage, or any physical changes (including color) affecting the exterior appearance of any of these properties prior to issuance of building permits.
- Darlene Jennings (term expires 12-31-20)
- Susan White (term expires 12-31-20)
- Jeff Edens (term expires 12-31-22)
- Seth McCoy (term expires 01-23-21)
- Sherri Gray (term expires 01-23-21)
- Joe Jumper (term expires 01-23-21)
- James Hubbard (term expires 12-31-22)
- Mayur Jeram (term expires 12-31-21)
CULTURAL RESOURCES COMMITTEE
The Cultural Resources Committee provides advice on such things as arts and culture, historic preservation, community appearance and achieving goals in the Cultural Resources Element of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Nick Sherfesee (term expires 03-10-23)
- Thomas Davis (term expires 03-10-23)
- William Miller (term expires 03-10-23)
- Patrick Coppinger (term expires 03-10-22)
- Randy Bell (term expires 03-10-22)
- Bettye Brookfield (term expires 03-10-22)
- Carnell Butler (term expires 03-10-21)
- Shannon Farro (term expires 03-10-21)
- Asha Akram (term expires 03-10-21)
The Election Commission assists in the biennial municipal elections, with various duties and functions as set forth in state statutes.
- William Monckton VI (term expires 09-12-24)
- Clifford Tall (term expires 09-12-22)
- Russell B. Long (term expires 07-22-21)
EMPLOYEE GRIEVANCE COMMITTEE
The Grievance Committee upholds a uniform procedure to resolve grievances of city employees arising from their city employment.
The Employee Recognition Committee recognizes the city’s outstanding employees and selects “Employees of the Year” from various service functions. The committee also recognizes a “Supervisor of the Year.”
- Dennis Springs (term expires 02-22-18)
- Amanda Whyland (term expires 03-08-22)
- Jennifer Nassar (term expires 02-22-21)
- Dennis Painter (term expires 02-22-22)
- Dwayne Harris (term expires 02-22-21)
HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION
The Human Rights Commission aims to eliminate discriminatory practices within the city by fostering and encouraging the growth and development of the City of Myrtle Beach in a manner that will assure to all persons equal opportunity to live free of discrimination.
- Pamela Lynn Ray (term expires 09-23-22)
- Craig McGee (term expires 02-22-23)
- David Bennett (term expires 03-14-23)
- Miriam Berrouet (term expires 02-22-21)
- Steve Gamble (term expires 11-14-20)
- Veronica Walters (term expires 09-28-22)
- Patti Lynn Bongiorno (term expires 02-22-22)
- Cameron Clark (term expires 02-22-22)
- Amanda Masterpaul (02-14-23)
MILITARY APPRECIATION COMMITTEE (ad hoc)
This ad hoc committee is open to all who are interested in serving. Under the city’s leadership, the committee plans military-related activities and events for the month of May (Military Appreciation Days) in recognition of the city’s military history, which includes the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. The committee, with staff support, also plans and executes annual ceremonies recognizing Memorial Day and Veterans Day and supports other veterans groups in their activities throughout the year.
The Convention Center Hotel Board of Directors is a closely-held corporation that oversees the city’s ownership of the Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel and the management of the property.
- J. Louis LaBruce (term expires 07-25-21)
- Adam Johnson (term expires 07-25-21)
- Frank DuRant (term expires 07-25-21)
- Stephen W. Greene (term expires 07-25-23)
- Judy Rodman (term expires 07-25-22)
- Yvette Jefferson (term expires 12-12-20)
- George C. DuRant (term expires 07-25-23)
MYRTLE BEACH PUBLIC FACILITIES CORPORATION
The Planning Commission reviews and makes recommendations to City Council regarding zoning, annexation, subdivision of property, park design and neighborhood planning. Under state law, the Planning Commission also names streets.
- William Pritchard (term expires 04-13-23)
- Sharon Boyce (term expires 04-13-22)
- Joyce M. Karetas (term expires 04-13-23)
- Zeb Thomas III (term expires 04-13-23)
- Ann Britain LeMay (term expires 04-13-22)
- Robby Warner (term expires 02-22-21)
- William Gravely (term expires 04-13-22)
- Sally Howard (term expires 02-22-21)
- Don Shanks (term expires 02-22-21)
PLANNING COMMISSION STAFF TECHNICAL REVIEW (Staff Committee)
PROPERTY MAINTENANCE HEARING (Staff Committee)
The Property Maintenance Hearing provides staff review of code violation notices and other property maintenance issues with property owners as part of due process.
RECREATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Recreation Advisory Committee advises and make recommendations to staff on recreational matters in planning for youth and adult activities.
- Wayne Wicker (term expires 11-14-20)
- Perry Thomas (term expires 08-22-20)
- Jeffrey Wisniewski (term expires 02-14-20)
- James D. Lewis (term expires 08-22-18)
- Robert Calamari (term expires 08-22-18)
- Steven Jordan (term expires 08-22-19)
- Eric Goings, Sr. (term expires 08-22-19)
- Dr. Anthony Morris (term expires 08-22-19)
- Roger Vincent (term expires 08-22-19)
SENIORS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Seniors Advisory Committee studies issues of particular significance to senior citizens in the City of Myrtle Beach and advises City Council about policies and programs related to a senior audience.
- Richard Patelunas (term expires 02-09-22)
- Tammy Lail (term expires 02-28-23)
- Deb Palumbo (term expires 02-09-22)
- Brenda Watkins Noel (term expires 03-8-23)
- Phil Hayes (term expires 12-12-20)
- Patty Sleem (term expires 03-08-23)
- Patricia Marie Yost (term expires 07-24-21)
- Aaron McKnight (term expires 11-13-21)
- Celia A. Klein (term expires 11-13-21)
SPECIAL EVENTS TECHNICAL REVIEW (Staff Committee)
This staff committee meets regularly to review applications for Special Event Permit requests and other facility uses, then makes recommendations to City Council for final approval on Special Event Permits.
STANDARD CODE BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT AND APPEALS
The Standard Code Board of Adjustments and Appeals hears and decides appeals from the decisions of the Building Official or Fire Chief related to Standard Building Code, Standard Plumbing Code, Standard Mechanical Code, Standard Gas Code and the Standard Fire Prevention Code.
- Joel Carter (term expires 04-26-20)
- David Raynor (term expires 04-26-20)
- Neil McCoy (alternate) (term expires 04-26-21)
- Allan Hay (term expires 04-26-20)
- Judith Blackburn (term expires 04-26-21)
- Robert McElveen (term expires 04-26-20)
- Jeff Hunter (alternate) (term expires 04-26-20)
TAXI HEARING PANEL (Staff Committee)
This staff committee meets as needed to review and approve requests for medallion transfers and other issues arising from regulation of the industry for the public’s benefit.
- Marty Eells, chair
- Chris Thompson
- Ron Gilkerson
- Caitlin Horan
- Alfreda Funnye
TECHNOLOGY ADVISORY GROUP (TAG)
The Technology Advisory Group looks for opportunities for the city to employ technology more creatively to efficiently and effectively deliver municipal services to city residents, property owners, businesses and guests. The group also seeks to improve the technological and artisan culture in the city.
- Frank McClatchy (term expires 08-28-22)
- Gina Trimarco (term expires 08-28-22)
- Bruce Grant (term expires 08-28-20)
- Brent Groome (term expires 08-28-20)
- Meagan Michal (term expires 08-28-20)
- Joseph Bonanno (term expires 08-28-21)
- Peter Gasca (term expires 08-28-21)
- Jason Greene (term expires 08-28-21)
- Lauren Riddei (term expires 08-28-22)
- HGTC Apointee is John Dove
- CCU Appointee is Jean French
The Tourism Committee is authorized to establish five ad hoc subcommittees to perform studies and make recommendations in specified subject areas. The subcommittees are the Long Range Planning Group, City Image Group, Transportation Group, Labor Shortage Group and Financial Consideration Group.
- Michael Robertson (term expires 10-16-18)
- David A. Nelson (term expires 08-26-19)
- The Hon. Alan Clemmons (ex officio)
- Gary Loftus (term expires 08-25-17)
- Dr. Taylor Damonte (term expires 08-25-17)
- Kenneth McKelvey (term expires 08-25-17)
WORKFORCE HOUSING ADVISORY BOARD (ad hoc)
The Workforce Housing Advisory Board is an ad hoc group, open to community members and city staff who desire to collectively plan and execute the city’s needs relating to affordable workforce housing.