Boards, Commissions & Committees
Click here to see the 2023 Board Meeting Schedule.
Jennifer Adkins, City Clerk
Would you like to serve on a volunteer board, commission or committee for the City of Myrtle Beach? Myrtle Beach City Council appoints volunteers to serve on city boards, commissions and committees. Every applicant is subject to a background check. To apply, visit the Volunteer Board Application webpage and complete the form. Or, submit a letter of interest and a brief biography or résumé to the City Clerk, P.O. Box 2468, Myrtle Beach, SC 29578. As of February 20, 2023, the following boards, commissions and committees have upcoming reappointments or vacancies...
- Chapin Memorial Library Board (3 seats)
- Cultural Resources Committee (4 seat)
- Planning Commission (3 seats)
- Seniors Advisory Committee (4 seats)
- Standard Code Board of Adjustments and Appeals (1 Licensed Contractor seat)
CITY OF MYRTLE BEACH BOARDS
ACCOMMODATIONS TAX ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Accommodations Tax Advisory Board makes recommendations to City Council for distribution of Accommodations Tax funds for tourism-related activities and services. Click here to see the Accommodations Tax application webpage.
- Mary Frances Tall (term expires 02-22-23)
- Jerome Christia, Ph.D. (term expires 02-22-23)
- Mary B. Henry (term expires 02-22-24)
- Thomas Moore (term expires 02-22-24)
- Betty Mills (term expires 02-22-25)
- Jamie Broadhurst (term expires 02-22-25)
- Clay Nance (term expires 02-22-25)
BEACH ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Beach Advisory Committee advises City Council on matters related to the beach itself, including safety franchises, beach erosion and beach activities.
- Tony Brumfield (term expires 02-22-26)
- Gordon Hirsch (term expires 10-10-24)
- William "Ashley" Harper (term expires 02-22-25)
- Michael Hussey (term expires 02-22-24)
- Mark Donevant (term expires 02-22-25)
- Steve C. Taylor (term expires 10-10-24)
- Robert Randolph "Randy" Wallace (term expires 02-22-26)
BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN COMMITTEE
The Bicycle & Pedestrian Committee reviews and makes recommendations for improving bicycle and pedestrian safety and for supporting bicycle and pedestrian-related events and/or issues.
- Tom Russo (term expires 08-26-23)
- Katie Wunder (term expires 08-26-22)
- Tim Fortson (term expires 08-26-25)
- Fleet Odom (term expires 08-26-25)
- Kathy Winfree (term expires 08-26-24)
- Martha Stanbrough (term expires 08-26-23)
- Thomas Vitt (term expires 08-26-23)
- John Pedersen (term expires 08-26-24)
- Christopher Walters (term expires 08-26-24)
BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS
The Board of Zoning Appeals is a quasi-judicial body that reviews and decides appeals of administrative decisions, requests for zoning variances and requests for special exceptions. Appeals of the board’s decisions go to Horry County Circuit Court.
- Amit Patel (term expires 02-22-2026)
- Rock Smith (term expires 02-22-2026)
- William Dickson (term expires 02-22-26)
- Allen R. Lee (term expires 02-22-24)
- Aaron McKnight (term expires 02-22-24)
- James Cameron (term expires 02-22-24)
- Julian DuRant (term expires 02-22-25)
- Michael J. Schwartz (term expires 02-22-25)
- Robert Shelley (term expires 02-22-25)
CHAPIN MEMORIAL LIBRARY BOARD
The Library Advisory Board advises the staff and City Council about library-related issues. Chapin Memorial Library is the only city-owned library in South Carolina.
- J.J. Fickenworth (term expires 03-23-23)
- Dr. Subhash Saxena (term expires 03-23-23)
- Susan Hudgins (term expires 02-14-26)
- John Hobson (term expires 02-14-25)
- Jill Griffith (term expires 09-12-23)
- Dana Patrick Painter (term expires 08-23-25)
- Robert V. Davis, Jr. (term expires 02-14-25)
- Richard Patelunas (term expires 03-23-24)
- Samuel Bookhart (term expires 02-14-26)
CHARLIE'S PLACE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The ad hoc board works to establish operations for Charlie's Place, a city-owned and operated facility. This committee’s objective is to create policies and procedures for Charlie’s Place and Incubator Spaces for Council’s consideration.
City Council is comprised of six elected council members and one mayor; elections are non-partisan and at-large, with members serving four-year terms. Click here to see all City Council documents.
- Brenda Bethune, Mayor
- Michael Chestnut
- Jackie Hatley
- John Krajc
- Mike Lowder
- Dr. Philip Render
- Gregg Smith
CITY MANAGER'S SAFETY ADVISORY BOARD (Staff Committee)
This staff committee meets regularly to coordinate and review safety protocols and training curricula for city personnel and departments.
COMMUNITY APPEARANCE BOARD
The Community Appearance Board is the state-authorized board of architectural review. The CAB reviews all plans, drawings, sketches and other documentation affecting new commercial and multifamily buildings, any oceanfront single family homes, the erection or construction of signage, or any physical changes (including color) affecting the exterior appearance of any of these properties prior to issuance of building permits.
- Julie Booth (term expires 12-31-23)
- Susan White (term expires 12-31-23)
- Jeff Edens (term expires 12-31-25)
- Seth McCoy (term expires 12-31-24)
- Yosi Benezra (term expires 12-31-23)
- Joe Jumper (term expires 12-31-24)
- James Hubbard (term expires 12-31-25)
- Mayur Jeram (term expires 12-31-24)
- Paul T. Williamson (term expires 12-31-25)
CULTURAL RESOURCES COMMITTEE
The Cultural Resources Committee provides advice on such things as arts and culture, historic preservation, community appearance and achieving goals in the Cultural Resources Element of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Nick Sherfesee (term expires 03-10-23)
- Thomas Davis (term expires 03-10-23)
- William Miller (term expires 03-10-23)
- Patrick Coppinger (term expires 03-10-25)
- Vacancy (term expires 03-10-25)
- Bettye Brookfield (term expires 03-10-25)
- Shawn Kennedy (term expires 03-10-24)
- Shannon Farro (term expires 03-10-24)
- Asha Akram (term expires 03-10-24)
DOWNTOWN REDEVELOPMENT CORPORATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The board is a 501©3 nonprofit organization that supports city initiatives around the revitalization of the downtown area.
- Jonathan "Fox" Simons, Jr. (City Manager)
- Brian Tucker (Assistant City Manager)
- Michelle Shumpert (Chief Financial Officer)
- Two Vacant Seats (Outside City Organization)
The Election Commission assists in the biennial municipal elections, with various duties and functions as set forth in state statutes.
- William Monckton VI (term expires 09-12-24)
- Clifford Tall (term expires 09-12-28)
- Russell B. Long (term expires 07-22-27)
EMPLOYEE GRIEVANCE COMMITTEE
The Grievance Committee upholds a uniform procedure to resolve grievances of city employees arising from their city employment.
The Employee Recognition Committee recognizes the city’s outstanding employees and selects “Employees of the Year” from various service functions. The committee also recognizes a “Supervisor of the Year.”
- Donna Millen (term expires 02-22-23)
- Amanda Whyland (term expires 02-22-22)
- Jennifer Nassar (term expires 02-22-21)
- Dennis Painter (term expires 02-22-22)
- Dwayne Harris (term expires 02-22-21)
HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION
The Human Rights Commission aims to eliminate discriminatory practices within the city by fostering and encouraging the growth and development of the City of Myrtle Beach in a manner that will assure to all persons equal opportunity to live free of discrimination.
- Craig McGee (term expires 02-22-26)
- Tania Appel (term expires 03-14-26)
- Miriam Berrouet (term expires 02-22-24)
- Adam Hayes (term expires 11-14-23)
- Veronica Walters (term expires 02-22-25)
- Danette Patton (term expires 02-22-26)
- Shane Cacho (term expires 02-22-25)
- Terry Livingston (term expires 02-22-25)
MILITARY APPRECIATION COMMITTEE (ad hoc)
This ad hoc committee is open to all who are interested in serving. Under the city’s leadership, the committee plans military-related activities and events for the month of May (Military Appreciation Days) in recognition of the city’s military history, which includes the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base. The committee, with staff support, also plans and executes annual ceremonies recognizing Memorial Day and Veterans Day and supports other veterans groups in their activities throughout the year.
The Convention Center Hotel Board of Directors is a closely-held corporation that oversees the city’s ownership of the Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel and the management of the property.
- J. Louis LaBruce (term expires 07-25-24)
- Adam Johnson (term expires 07-25-24)
- Frank DuRant (term expires 07-25-24)
- Stephen W. Greene (term expires 07-25-23)
- Judy Rodman (term expires 07-25-25)
- Yvette Jefferson (term expires 07-25-23)
- George C. DuRant (term expires 07-25-23)
MYRTLE BEACH DOWNTOWN ALLIANCE (MBDA) BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Myrtle Beach Downtown Alliance is a nonprofit place management organization (PMO), initially funded in its first year by the City of Myrtle Beach. This privately-led association of business and community leaders is dedicated to promoting the growth and diversification of Myrtle Beach’s economy, with a focus on the downtown area and the Arts & Innovation District. In partnership with the city and property owners, the Alliance’s work includes district management, attracting more developers and investment, supporting and addressing needs of small businesses, creating quality job opportunities and increasing the number of housing options available in the downtown area. The new PMO will build upon momentum generated by the city’s efforts to implement the Downtown Master Plan.
City of Myrtle Beach Representatives
- Brenda Bethune, Mayor
- Mike Chestnut, City Council
- Jonathan "Fox" Simons, Jr., City Manager/Brian Tucker, Assistant City Manager
Horry County Representative
- Tory Mackey, Chapin Foundation
- Meagan Michael, Habitat for Humanity
- Karen Riordan, Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce
Private Sector, Business and Community Leaders
- Spencer Benton – CL Benton & Sons
- Chad Carlson – Burroughs & Chapin
- Dr. David DeCenzo – Coastal Carolina University
- Mike Hagg – HTC
- Terrance Herriott – Conway National Bank
- Pastor Shawn Johnson – Sandy Grove Church
- Bill Jones – Withers Swash Community Leader
- Matthew Klugman – Vacation Myrtle Beach
- William Miller – Business Owner
- Michelle Plyler – Business Owner
- Mary Jo Rogers – South Atlantic Bank
- Jacob Smith – Landowners South of Pavilion
The Planning Commission reviews and makes recommendations to City Council regarding zoning, annexation, subdivision of property, park design and neighborhood planning. Under state law, the Planning Commission also names streets.
- Sharon Boyce (term expires 04-13-25)
- Joyce M. Karetas (term expires 04-13-23)
- Zeb Thomas III (term expires 04-13-23)
- Ann Britain LeMay (term expires 04-13-25)
- Philip Stalvey (term expires 04-13-24)
- Sally Howard (term expires 02-22-24)
- Danielle Lewis (term expires 04-13-25)
- Austin Guyton (term expires 04-13-23)
- Ronald Spencer (term expires 04-13-24)
SENIORS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
PROPERTY MAINTENANCE HEARING (Staff Committee)
The Property Maintenance Hearing provides staff review of code violation notices and other property maintenance issues with property owners as part of due process.
The Seniors Advisory Committee studies issues of particular significance to senior citizens in the City of Myrtle Beach and advises City Council about policies and programs related to a senior audience.
- Richard Patelunas (term expires 02-09-25)
- Tammy Lail (term expires 02-28-23)
- Deb Palumbo (term expires 02-09-25)
- Brenda Watkins Noel (term expires 03-8-23)
- Phil Hayes (term expires 12-12-23)
- Patty Sleem (term expires 03-08-23)
- Valerie Tighe (term expires 11-13-24)
- Barbara Perian (term expires 11-13-24)
- Lynne A. Baronoff (term expires 07-24-24)
SPECIAL EVENT COMMITTEE (Staff Committee)
This staff committee meets regularly to review applications for Special Event Permit requests and other facility uses, then makes recommendations to City Council for final approval on Special Event Permits.
STANDARD CODE BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT AND APPEALS
The Standard Code Board of Adjustments and Appeals hears and decides appeals from the decisions of the Building Official or Fire Chief related to Standard Building Code, Standard Plumbing Code, Standard Mechanical Code, Standard Gas Code and the Standard Fire Prevention Code.
- David Raynor (term expires 04-26-24)
- Neil McCoy (alternate)(term expires 04-26-23)
- Judith Blackburn (term expires 04-26-25)
- Robert McElveen (term expires 04-26-24)
- Jeff Hunter (alternate)(term expires 04-26-23)
- Richard L. Berry (Architect/Engineer)(term expires 04-26-24)
- Vacancy (Licensed Contractor)
TAXI HEARING PANEL (Staff Committee)
This staff committee meets as needed to review and approve requests for medallion transfers and other issues arising from regulation of the industry for the public’s benefit.
TECHNOLOGY ADVISORY GROUP (TAG)
The Technology Advisory Group looks for opportunities for the city to employ technology more creatively to efficiently and effectively deliver municipal services to city residents, property owners, businesses and guests. The group also seeks to improve the technological and artisan culture in the city.
- Kevin Cox (term expires 08-28-23)
- Meagan Michal (term expires 08-28-23)
- Robyn Pigott (term expires 08-28-23)
- Joseph Bonanno (term expires 08-28-24)
- Peter Gasca (term expires 08-28-24)
- Jason Greene (term expires 08-28-24)
- Lauren Riddei (term expires 08-28-25)
- Micah Naus (term expires 08-28-25)
- Tristan Mack (term expires 08-28-25)
- HGTC Apointee is Lou Ann Timmons
- CCU Appointee is Jean French
WORKFORCE HOUSING ADVISORY BOARD (ad hoc)
The Workforce Housing Advisory Board is an ad hoc group, open to community members and city staff who desire to collectively plan and execute the city’s needs relating to affordable workforce housing.
- Stephen Greene
- Jeffrey Wisniewsksi
- Karen Riordan
- Madison Cooper
- Carol McCall
- Alicia Thompson
- Jason Repak
- Margaret Murray