With the approach of spring, coyotes are becoming more visible. The City of Myrtle Beach provides a handy guide for helping to control coyotes in urban areas. Visit https://cms6.revize.com/revize/myrtlebeachsc/Coyotes.pdf. The city also offers an online reporting form, which includes a map of sighting locations. Visit https://comb.maps.arcgis.com/apps/GeoForm/index.html... to report seeing a coyote in your area.
Here are some general safety rules to protect your pets from coyotes…
• Allow pets outside only when you are with them, especially at night.
• Keep pet food and water inside; if you must feed outside, bring dishes in when your pet has eaten.
• Keep garbage containing food well secured.
• Keep dogs on a leash in public area; never leave them outside unattended.
• Discourage or harass coyotes: aggressively make the coyote uncomfortable if it is invading your space.