Myrtle Beach Friday Fax Memo
To download a printable .pdf of the Friday Fax, click here. To receive this weekly listing of meeting schedules and agendas via email, send your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2019
1. Next week’s meeting schedule is attached.
2. A new precinct has been added for the upcoming municipal election. This precinct serves new homes built along and south of Golden Chestnut Way near US 17, including the Belle Harbor neighborhood. The area is part of what was known as the Clemson Tract. The polling place is Surfside #4, Lakewood Elementary, 1675 Highway 396. The city now has 14 precincts for the November 5 election. For municipal election information, see https://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/i_want_to/find/polling_places.php.
3. Learn more about the City of Myrtle Beach’s recent efforts to support the technology, entrepreneur and artisan communities during an upcoming networking event. Come meet the Technology Advisory Group (TAG) at “eMYRge,” from 4:00 to 6:30 p.m., Thursday, September 26, at the Myrtle Beach Train Depot, 851 Broadway Street. The event serves as a networking social and update on the city’s progress to create a co-work and event space in the new Arts & Innovation District. The event is free, but registration is required. To register, see https://tinyurl.com/yypdzvkp.
4. Parents, grandparents or guardians with questions about car seat installation are invited to attend the Fire Department’s Car Seat Check Event on September 18. The event takes place from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 18, at the Seaboard Commons’ Target in Myrtle Beach.
5. Everyone’s invited to the 51st Anniversary Welcome Reception for the 177th Fighter Wing, New Jersey Air National Guard (Jersey Devils), on Thursday morning. The event takes place at 10:00 a.m., Thursday, September 19, at Warbird Park, 150 Farrow Parkway. The fighter wing was activated 51 years ago – in 1968 – and moved to the Myrtle Beach Air Force Base.
6. The Police Department hosts “Pack the Paddy Wagon,” an event benefitting the Grand Strand Humane Society from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Saturday, September 21. The donation drop-off event takes place at Target, 1150 Seaboard Street. Here’s a list of needed items….
- Pedigree Dog Food (All Sizes)
- Purina One Smart Blend Dog Food
- Friskies Wet Cat Food
- Purina Kitten Chow Nurture Food
- Purina Cat Chow Complete
- Fancy Feast Canned Kitten Food
- Pet AG KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement)
- Greenies Pill Pockets
- Non-Clumping Clay Cat Litter
- Paper Towels
- Disinfecting Bleach
- High Efficiency (HE) Laundry Detergent
- Garbage Bags (33-Gallon, 42-Gallon and 44-Gallon Bags)
- Cat and Dog Collars, Harnesses, Leashes and Toys
8. Looking for something to do in Myrtle Beach? Visit our Events webpage for a comprehensive list of activities. See https://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/Events.pdf. This file of city-related festivals, concerts, programs and more is updated weekly.
9. Thousands attended the two-day Waves of Praise Gospel Festival last weekend, and that’s the subject of our Photos of the Week. The second annual event grew significantly. Friday night featured an indoor concert at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center, while Saturday drew a crowd of several thousand to the Burroughs & Chapin Pavilion Place, as shown in these photos. Local, regional and national gospel entertainers performed, much to the crowd’s delight.
10. Did you know... That the City of Myrtle Beach received 4,541 job applications during the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2019? In all, the city filled 136 positions during the year, so that’s an average of 33.4 applications per opening.
To see previous Friday Fax Memos, visit the Friday Fax Memo Library webpage.