Myrtle Beach Friday Fax Memo
To download a printable .pdf of the Friday Fax, click here. To receive this weekly listing of meeting schedules and agendas via email, send your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, fill out the Friday Fax Sign Up Form at the bottom of this webpage.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2020
1. Next week’s meeting schedule is attached.
2. Myrtle Beach’s Nance Plaza has received a Placemaking Grant from the National Association of Realtors® to assist in its upcoming makeover. The $4,500 grant will be used by the Coastal Carolinas Association of Realtors® (CCAR), in partnership with Myrtle Beach’s Downtown Development Office, to aid in the renovation of Nance Plaza, 825 North Kings Highway. The funds will help add additional landscaping and seating to prepare Nance Plaza as a main feature of the city’s new Arts & Innovation District. “CCAR is honored to be part of the continued beautification of Nance Plaza and to play a small role in the transformation of the Myrtle Beach downtown area. The Arts & Innovation District will be the cornerstone of the re-birth of a vibrant downtown, attracting locals and visitors,” said Laura Crowther, Coastal Carolinas Association of Realtors® CEO. The grant does not require matching funds from the city. Placemaking Grants are awarded to help Realtors® create new public spaces and destinations in their community. For more information, contact Downtown Development Director Lauren Clever at email@example.com. To learn more about the National Association of Realtors® Placemaking Grant program, see https://realtorparty.realtor/community-outreach/placemaking.
3. Enjoy the last market date of the season at Myrtle’s Market from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Wednesday, November 25, and pick up fresh ingredients needed for your homemade Thanksgiving dishes. Specialty vendors will be on hand with fruit, veggies, local honey, desserts, flowers, decorations, candles, handmade crafts and more. Attendees and participants, note that standard social distancing guidelines will be implemented. The farmers market is located at the corner of Mr. Joe White Avenue and Oak Street. For more information, call 843-918-4906.
4. City offices and facilities will be closed on Thursday and Friday, November 26-27, to observe the Thanksgiving holiday. Residential solid waste and recycling collections during Thanksgiving week will follow the schedule below. Questions? Contact the Public Works Department at 843-918-2000.
Zone 1 – Monday, November 23
Zone 2 – Tuesday, November 24
Zone 3 – Wednesday, November 25
Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 26 – No Collections
Zone 4 – Friday, November 27
5. Looking ahead, the Myrtle Beach Police Department hosts a holiday fundraiser for the Grand Strand Humane Society to collect much needed donations from 12:00 to 4:00 p.m., Saturday, December 5. Donations can be dropped off in the breezeway at the Ted C. Collins Law Enforcement Center, 1101 North Oak Street. Any supplies from the list below will make each pet’s holiday a little more special. For more information about the Grand Strand Humane Society, see https://www.grandstrandhumanesociety.com/. Looking to adopt? Stop by Grand Strand Humane Society, 3241 Mr. Joe White Avenue, or call 843-918-4910.
GSHS Supplies Wish List
- Pedigree Dog Food (All Sizes)
- Purina One Smart Blend Dog Food
- Friskies Pate Wet Cat Food
- Purina Kitten Chow Nurture
- Purina Cat Chow Complete
- Fancy Feast/Authority Canned Kitten Food
- Pet AG KMR Kitten Milk Replacement
- Greenies Pill Pockets
- Fresh Step Non-Clump Clay Cat Litter
- Small and Medium Plastic Litter Boxes (Unused)
- Paper Towels
- Toilet Paper
- Disinfecting Bleach and Wipes
- Baby Wipes
- HE Variety Dye Free Laundry Detergent
- Swiffer Duster and Wet Mop Cloths
- New and Gently Used Towels, Blankets, Sheets and Pet Beds
- 33, 42 and 44 Gallon Garbage Bags (Contractor Strength, Heavy Gauge, Non-Drawstring and Flap Tie Bags are Preferred)
- Dog and Cat Collars, Leashes, Toys and Clothing
- Copy Paper, Envelopes and Postage Stamps
6. Need information about the coronavirus emergency? You’ll find timely updates and general information on our Coronavirus Advisory webpage.
7. The online E-Resources webpage is available on the city’s website. Some city buildings remain closed to the public, but we are working to provide online content for all ages. On the webpage, you’ll find creative and educational options for you and your family to enjoy!
8. A comprehensive list of activities and city events is available on our Events webpage. This file of city-related festivals, programs and more is updated weekly.
9. Construction is well underway on the new multipurpose path around the Thunderbolt Park lake, and that’s the subject of our Photos of the Week. A contractor is preparing for a 10-foot asphalt path around the lake at Thunderbolt Park, just west of the entrance to the International Technology and Aerospace Park (ITAP). The park and lake are on Farrow Parkway, west of The Market Common. The path will give walkers, joggers, bicyclists and others a way to enjoy the park scenery and get some exercise. An additional path will be built on the airport side of the adjacent lake, too, completing the path. Thunderbolt Park is an extension of Myrtle Beach’s Grand Park system of parks, lakes and trails in the Market Common area.
10. Did you know... That the South Carolina Recreation and Park Association named Myrtle Beach’s Youth Sports Division as its “Athletic Agency of the Year” in 2020? This is the eighth time in the last 12 years the division has received the prestigious award. Staff will accept the award at the South Carolina Recreation and Parks Association Sports Management Institute in Hilton Head, set for December 3-4, 2020.
PREVIOUS FRIDAY FAX MEMOS
FRIDAY FAX SIGN UP FORM
To receive this weekly listing of meeting schedules and agendas via email, send your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, complete the form below.