Myrtle Beach Friday Fax Memo
To download a printable .pdf of the Friday Fax, click here. To receive this weekly listing of meeting schedules and agendas via email, send your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
FRIDAY, MARCH 22, 2019
1. Next week’s meeting schedule and agendas are attached.
2. Myrtle Beach is hosting a spring Job Expo from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., next Saturday, March 30, at Futrell Park on Mr. Joe White Avenue. Companies seeking employees may contact Chris Wiggins at 843-918-2338 or email@example.com for more information or a spot at the Expo. Everyone’s invited to attend! Update your résumé and put your best foot forward for your future in Myrtle Beach.
3. The Myrtle Beach Police Department will host Memorial Day Weekend meetings for the community and businesses in the next few weeks. Community meetings are set for 6:00 p.m., Thursday, both March 28 and April 11, at the Train Depot. Business meetings for owners and managers will be held at 10:00 a.m., Thursday, both April 4 and April 18, at the Train Depot. Staff will be on hand to share the weekend’s operational plans and answer questions. For more information, visit http://police.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/memorial-day-weekend/.
4. The April 1 deadline is fast approaching for nominations for the Colonel Robert Hawkins Veterans Volunteer Service Award. Do you know an outstanding volunteer who serves the veterans’ community here in Myrtle Beach and Horry County? The Military Appreciation Committee is launching this new award to recognize a volunteer for services to a veterans’ group, an individual veteran, a veteran’s family and/or the greater Grand Strand veterans’ community. Nominees must be residents of Horry County and a role model for veterans and others. The late Bob Hawkins, a retired US Army colonel, was instrumental in planning the events during May. Applications are available at www.militaryappreciationdays.com and are accepted through April 1. The direct link is http://www.militaryappreciationdays.com/Colonel%20Robert%20Hawkins%20Veterans%20Volunteer%20Service%20Award%20Nomination.pdf.
5. The City of Myrtle Beach mailed out 10,595 business license renewal forms earlier this month. License renewals must be received or postmarked by June 30, 2019. After that date, a late penalty will apply. By the way, all owners of residential rental property are required to have a license. For more information, call the Business License Office at 843-918-1200 or visit https://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/careers/business/business_license_requirement.php.
6. Visit our Events file for a comprehensive list of activities scheduled in Myrtle Beach. See http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/Events.pdf. This list of city-related festivals, concerts, programs and more is updated weekly with new information. The Calendar feature on the city’s website at https://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/calendar.php also is a great resource for meetings, events and other scheduled activities.
7. This month’s annual Open House at Crabtree Memorial Gymnasium is the subject of our Photos of the Week. Hundreds turned out for this fun and informative event. Attendees had a chance to meet the staff and learn what’s available at the center. Local businesses and non-profits were on hand, too, and everyone enjoyed tai chi demonstrations, live music, popcorn, hotdogs and more.
8. Did you know… That Myrtle Beach now offers beekeepers the ability to register the locations of their hives so that we don’t spray for mosquitoes nearby? To register a hive, call the Public Works Department at 843-918-2000. Exceptions to the “no spray zone” include a high mosquito count or complaints in the area for nuisance mosquitoes. The city sprays for mosquitoes during the warm months, covering the city each week, weather permitting. For more information, contact Samantha Taylor at 843-918-2017.
To see previous Friday Fax Memos, visit the Friday Fax Memo Library webpage.